Do you own a fish tank? A fish tank is very important and it makes the tank or aquarium appear beautiful. The freshwater fish looks beautiful featuring a unique body shape. Flowerhorn fish looks beautiful and also presents an impressive temperament, behavior and completely unusual appearance.
A small intro
Flowerhorn cichlid fish belongs to the cichlid family. It is a hybrid variety having a strong characteristic and beautiful appearance. It is fruitful and looks good. You can have this fish in your fish tank. This is regarded as an exotic fish. It was started in Taiwan and Malaysia. In fact, it was cross-breeding of cichlids that resulted in the Flowerhorn from Central America.
There are four types of Flowerhorn fish namely Golden Monkey, Zhen Zhu, Golden Base, and Kamfa. Red Dragon Flowerhorn is the most famous Flowerhorn type and now Flowerhorn fish is available as it is a product of cross-breeding.
However, before having the fish in your tank as your most favorite choice, it is best to how to keep the Flowerhorn beautiful and healthy in the aquarium.
Breeding of Flowerhorn fish
Knowing about the Flowerhorn fish breeding is important even for a beginner so that one stays informed about the fish. Knowing the fish breeding basics helps in choosing the fish of the correct type. The foremost experience is to find the couple and to use parrot cichlids. The simplest way is to put them in one tank and ensure the food is full of nutrition. Once the fish is all set to mate, remember to keep the tank in a special condition.
Note: Allow them during the mating time to stay alone. Put newspaper around the tank and ensure privacy.
Important information on breeding
- The fish breeding time is really important and takes good care because the fish may fight in case they do not get to mate.
- If so, move the female from this fighting condition.
- Once the fish properly mates, you may place rocks in the nest.
Apart from this, you must move the female containing egg to another tank featuring right filtration. Also, avoid the egg so that it is sucked by filtration. Knowing this information is important if you wish to have the unique fish.
Regarding the Size
The Flowerhorn cichlid features a big head and a beautiful shape. You are certain to love this fish that you want it eternally. However, to keep the aquarium condition perfectly suitable for the Flowerhorn fish, ensure to have a 75- gallon size big tank. This will ensure the fish grows in prime and ideal condition. It will also have enough space to stay away from a stressed condition and can swim freely. Having proper knowledge regarding the tips to take care of Flowerhorn fish will ensure the fish is healthy and happy. Ensure to have proper water temperature such as 84 -86° F or 28 – 30° C. Maintaining the pH level in the water keeps the fish alive. Using smaller tank is advisable if you place 1- or 2-inch size of fish. Tanks with 20 gallons size are appropriate for small Flowerhorn fish, once the fish grows to 3-8 inches size, there is a need for 40 to 55 gallons tank. Tanks influence the fish growth and in case you do not change the tank even after noticing the growth of your fish, the growth of the fish gets shunned.
Favorable Water conditions
- Temperature: The water temperature of Flowerhorn fish is the same as other tropical fish. However, Flowerhorn fish flourishes between 20-30c temperature and is recommended to maintain between 28-31 C temperature.
- PH Level: The Flowerhorn fish needs between 7.5 to 8.0, a moderate PH level. It is best to change water regularly keeping intervals every week at least once. It is recommended to mix with the gravel crushed corals so that the pH level is maintained. It is a must to be cautious because any drastic change on PH level can be harmful to Flowerhorn. Thus, it is a must to check periodically the pH level in the tank.
- Filtration: A good system of filtration is the best so that you get the best Flowerhorn. Normally, an overhead filter is recommended as it can be cleaned easily and the clogging is kept to minimal. Choosing a good filtration system ensures efficiency, ease of cleaning, and minimal clogging.
- Water Flow: There is a need for good water flow so that the water temperature and oxygen are even, and it keeps the water surfaces free from a thin film that obstructs gaseous exchange in your tank between water and air.
- Salt: Fish needs to stabilize and salt helps in stabilizing by providing chloride and sodium ions. It kills parasites in the tank. Tank contents featuring dissolved salt helps in making your fish homely and offers a safe feel.
- Water Changes: Once a month, the tank water needs to be changed. Bear in mind that the filter does not clean 100%. There is a need to change water partially that is around 25 to 30%. This makes your fish happy and healthier.
- Feeding: Feeding is really simple for a hybrid fish as it lives on eating live and fish pellets. The best part is that it has a good appetite. The fish food types available in the market are many in numbers and so you can consider a planned diet for your Flowerhorn fish. Giving live feeds is the best, but it may work to be expensive. Give live feeds once a week as a reward. Avoid feeding color enhancers in excess as it is not recommended and may contain harmful chemicals. It is best to keep anything in moderation.
- Basic Traits: By nature, the Flowerhorn fish is highly territorial and aggressive that it does not live with another fish. In case, you have in one tank 2 or more Flowerhorn fish, you must get your tank partitioned or get another fish tank to place them separately.
- The environment of the tank: The Flowerhorn fish requires a thin gravel layer. The main idea is to give a homely feel and to avoid stress.
Note: Any sort of stress may cause discoloration, hinder growth or lose the nuchal hump.
Tips to take extra care of Flowerhorn fish
The Flowerhorn is an attractive fish but is a sensitive fish type. they are different from others as it has an individual hump on the head, besides this hump is the same with both, male and female Flowerhorn fish.
A well-known fact is that fishes always need extra care and Flowerhorn fish must be given extra time owing to its sensitivity and uniqueness. In fact, it is a must to take too much care as this fish are in unimaginable colors. Enhancing the charm of the aquarium with color pigments make it appear attractive, but new fish owners may find Flowerhorn fish hard to take care as they are unaware of the time to be given in taking good care. Here are a few quick tips to take care in less time.
Water Quality: The water quality matters the most. Basically, one must take care of water as this is most important. It is required for the wellness and development of fishes. There is a need to consider water filtration and changing twice or thrice the water in a month is mandatory. It is more perfect if you change every week the water.
Tank Size: A small tank will be really exhausting. Ensure you have a big tank to keep the fishes healthy and satisfied.
Routine: Maintaining a routine is important. Ensure you do it as a routine. Change the water and feed the fishes in satisfactory amount suitable food because this is crucial for their health and growth.
Treatment: There may be symptom or indication of Hexamita in Flowerhorn fish. If you notice one sick fish, separate it from other fish, to safeguard others. Maintain healthy fish in another tank. Move them to clean the tank, clean the unhealthy fish tank, by changing the water. Give effective treatment ensuring fish health and learn to follow as per the direction.
A Guide on Improving Flowerhorn Color
There is a need to enhance the Flowerhorn fish’s beauty as it is not confined to improving the nuchal humps size alone. In fact, it is important to increase the intensity of Flowerhorn color.
The popular Flowerhorn fishes color is red. It is highly popular among people practicing feng shui. The other popular colors are orange, yellow, silver, and blue.
Note: It is commonly observed that beginners compel developing red colorations in fish, though its basic base is blue. You must not do this as it develops an allergic reaction in your fish and using too much enhancer may make your fish go sick.
Spread and Intensity of Coloration
Enhancing the fish natural colors means developing the spread and intensity of its coloration. These colors must be crisp and vivid, while their coverage is expected to be as wide as possible. There are lines surrounding or separating the colors, and it is highly recommended to enhance only those lines.
Flowerhorns have different colors presenting a varying intensity and width. In case, any of its colors is highly intense than the others, the right way to enhance color is to concentrate on the less intense colors. This makes the fish colors stay more in balance and its entire body appears brightly colorful.
Caution: in Colors Darkening
- Using too much of color enhancers mean developing of allergic reaction in a fish. One such example is, for instance, feeding Flowerhorns in blue dragon color with red pellets believing it will transform the fish color into red. In fact, this will turn the fish dark and even after you stop feeding your fish with red enhancers in food.
- Darkening of color in Flowerhorn fish is a sign of poor water condition, stress or injury.
- Flowerhorns in golden base normally turns dark prior to shedding off the scales and this happens as it tries revealing new coloration.
- Generally, fishes have dark colors and nothing can be done to change. Thus, it is best to choose Flowerhorns in light color initially than the dark ones.
Pellets with Color Enhancing Pigments
Much Flowerhorn fish food contains varying color amounts of enhancing pigments. The common is astaxanthin, used to enhance the orange and red coloration. Some contain xanthophyll to promote yellows and enhancing blue is done using spirulina. Ideally, using fish food containing balanced amounts of pigments is recommended. Fish food focusing on specific color enhancing is used by people participating in Flowerhorn competitions.
- Astaxanthin: Astaxanthin promotes orange and red fishes’ coloration. It is the widely used Flowerhorn fish food in comparison to other color enhancers. Astaxanthin is acquired from natural sources such as shrimps and krills. Fish food indicates having canthaxanthin, that is astaxanthins, synthesized form. Using astaxanthin indicates one to be really careful so that one does not feed much blue to the Flowerhorns that are already blue-based. This is to avoid any sort of unwanted allergic reactions. Thus, there is a need to follow the instructions and to restrict inflicting your color choices on the fish.
Recommended food containing astaxanthin for Flowerhorn fish are XO Ever Red, Cyclops Flowerhorn Food, Alife, and XO Super Red Syn. Commonly, XO Ever Red is highly used. It takes a long time for this fish food to come up with desired results, but the redness enhanced is really beautiful and it does not easily fade away even with the discontinuation of feeding.
- Xanthophyll: Are you looking for Flowerhorn food enhancing the yellows or foods containing Xanthophyll, it means you should know now there is not much available. You may at the most consider the alternatives such as you may cross-over the fish food that is intended for goldfish pellets or other cichlids.
It is best to check at your pet shops in the local area and to go through the list of ingredients to be given to the fish as food. Also look for anything containing xanthophyll, dried egg, marigold power or corn gluten meals as these are the ingredients that mainly enhance the yellows.
- Spirulina: This is used to promote blues. However, the blue-green algae are found in abundance. The Flowerhorns that are blue-based mostly appear dull in coloration. There is a need to address it by feeding your fish consistently with rich spirulina pellets.
Remember, to notice a difference, it will take three months or so. However, it is worth waiting as you like classic Flowerhorns. The enhancer is commonly used for wormlike pearls or pearly dots found in new strains and even Thai Silks benefit from fish food that is Spirulina-rich. You can try other brands, but it is best to consult with others using the same fish food and then give a try.
Giving live food is also a way of enhancing coloration of fish. Frozen bloodworms and shrimps are used to promote the yellows and redness. However, it is found that the color enhancers bring out the required color than getting it with fish foods.
Enhancing the fish coloration is also due to the lighting. It is observed that the fishes exposed to indirect sunlight mostly project vivid colors. The Flowerhorn tank as a thumb rule must be in a room that is well-lighted and it is best if it receives indirect sunlight as the light source.
Flowerhorns age plays a vital role in the development of colors. They commonly develop the coloration as they are two to three inches in size. The colors in male Flowerhorns normally intensify in colors and it also spreads in areas as they are six to eight inches. The coloration starts slowly fading, revealing the aging signs.
The golden Flowerhorns base at 3-5 inches size change in coloration by shedding off the first old colors. The new coloration is revealed and it is intensified with time.
Note: Very importantly, during the Flowerhorns breeding time, it is best to avoid using color enhancers or the enhancing feeds. This is because it is believed that it may affect adversely the process of breeding.
Tips to keep the Flowerhorn Cichlid happy and healthy
Flowerhorn fish is a beauty in your aquarium until it is happy and healthy. This means you have to pay attention to everything and to begin with are:
- Keep the tank clean and ensure the tank bottom is free from debris. There is a need to clean the bottom as you consider changing water.
- The debris is that the fish has left as uneaten and this damages the fish health. On noticing the debris, make it a point to take it out and clear the bottom.
- Keep the water temperature consistent. You may also use an aquarium heater and ensure the water is warm at all time and this actually offers comfort to fishes.
Another very important thing is relating to oxygenation. You may choose the good oxygenation using the air stone or sponge. Any bad oxygenation will result in making the fish stressed, and will be the reason for its death. There is a need for good filtration as it offers the required ease. Buying a canister filter helps to clean your Flowerhorn tank. You may use this to keep the water stay fresh for a longer time and this means you need not change the water daily. The advantage is that the canister filtration system ensures keeping in the water tank the good bacteria. If you want to ascertain about the water condition, you must check the pH by using a test strip, this also checks the nitrate levels and the ammonia levels.
Apart from cleaning tanks, you can add some decoration to the aquarium to keep your Flowerhorn fish happy. This may include rocks, corals, or small stones as aquarium décor. Your pet will stay healthy as the Flowerhorn Cichlid fish will make your Flowerhorn fish stay comfortably while it will play with the stones.
The best food for Flowerhorn Cichlid
An interesting activity is fish feeding. The moment you add the pellets in the tank, you may notice how happy your fish feed upon. Also get to know the proper portion of feed your fish requires. Avoid overfeeding as it may be one of the reasons to kill your fish and it will also make your water look dirty. Fish may be stressed owing to many factors such as the size of the tank, food, water, and others.
The flower horn cichlid food is simple. You may use the highest quality dry pellet. It provides your fish excellent nutrition. Remember to buy high-quality products from the market as fish food and it should have protein to 45%. Once the fish reaches the size of 8 inches, you may choose lower protein pellet or also consider feeding your Flowerhorn with live fish.
What is the best food?
Your Flowerhorn cichlid best food is some live small fish or you can also feed some shrimp. Apart from that, foods that offer more nutrition are the frozen bloodworms and these can be given two times a week. The Flowerhorn fish best treatment should be the one having protein content in live fish. It means you can give bloodworm that has more nutrition, especially the frozen bloodworms are full of nutrition. You may give it twice a week as the best Flowerhorn fish treatment.
Protein content is bloodworm and fish is high and this is excellent for Flowerhorn head growth. The pellets available in the market are equally good and contain high protein. The fish health condition may be apparent from its behavior and even its poop color reveals a fish health condition.
There is a need to analyze fish behavior. In case the fish poop is lying over 2 days, you may consider it as the red flag. It also means you must be careful in giving quick treatment. The poop in white color or having a shape of the stringy pearl is an indication that it suffers from Hexamita, an intestinal sickness of the fish, that may cause the death of the fish. There is a need to give immediate and correct treatment, or else you will have to see the painful process of your fish dying. Prevent this risk by ensuring the food and water condition is good.